Friday, April 8, 2011

Crystals of Sugar

Crystals of sugar in their asymmetry

Lay scattered on the table,

It seemed to me like divine geometry

The foundation of our fable.


Like kite-strings they tugged on the sun rays

That crept in through the window,

A twinkle leapt off a crystal edge

Another shinnied up from below.


It suddenly seemed that summer

Was a charade for their appeasement,

It seemed the sky they lay framed against

Was in fact their stately raiment.


Thoughts began to coax me

Of the gentle harshness of the crystal plane,

Somehow the story of eternity

Lay in that miniature domain.


I brushed my fingers along their grain

And felt the roughness of our creation,

Overcome by a cool shiver of curiosity

I had to look within.


I felt certain I would unearth

An unforeseen but expected veracity,

But a stark white wall suffused

And I found a strange opacity.


They clung to that turbid mystery

As the day progressed,

The hunt for our history

Would have to be laid to rest.


And I was left to wonder


How many such worlds pass beneath the eye

How many loiter out of sight?


And then the crystals took their secrets

And dissolved in the light.

3 comments: